A short story idea to ponder for today…
A shy home-schooled teenager is thrust onto the national stage when she solves a 300-year-old math theorem. She starts to crack under the attention of being called a prodigy, and develops unhealthy coping mechanisms.
In this story, the young protagonist loves music with a passion and when she’s not solving math problems for fun, she hangs out in the local record shop — one of the last to remain open for business. She’s a fan of digital music, everything from Spotify to Emp3, but she has always had a taste for analog, especially after she discovered her grandfather’s collection of vinyl.
Despite her youth and innocence, she has a love/hate relationship with her town, and later in the story, she must reluctantly return to this place after a long absence at college. She discovers just how much the place changed since she left, and how her family and friends betrayed her.
A few simple story ideas to share, along with a little poem I wrote while learning to juggle watermelons.
- A vicar from Cornwall is delighted when he gets the chance to take part in the final of X-Factor. However, his chances are scuppered when his daughter goes missing. Distraught at losing X-Factor, the vicar packers himself off to the mountains and becomes a hermit.
- Sandeep is a killer motivated by lust, who murders teachers and wraps them in toilet paper. Mrs Leeks, a pilot from Denmark, knows she has to stop him. It turns out there are actually two killers working together.
- In a world where robots are stand-up comedians, one stud has no choice but to find a crime-fighting sidekick using just his mind. After a long and drawn out battle, the stud saves the day.
And here is the poem…
All numbing about the soil
Very peaceful beneath the rain
I prod vibrant melons beyond the mound
Lord! The sin will continue
Dark and vaporous prior to the sludge
We imagine cloudy symbols in the branches
Oh God! The girl will fade
All numbing about the dirt
We extort warm vapors more than the fire
We Encounter! The dark night is fleeing
where in fact the light originates from
a feeling of hazard
make his method
recalling old occasions
My current story concept goes a little bit like this.
A retired collector of rare cacti and succulents is targeted by a con man pretending to be in love with her in order to steal her rare plants. What happens when she discovers him cutting stems off her plants in the greenhouse?
I’ve always wanted to set a short story inside a greenhouse. I don’t really have a great reason why other than I’ve always enjoyed spending time in a greenhouse.
In this story, the con man will go to great lengths to get what he wants. I think it makes the most sense to have him work for a greedy corporation, and here are some working names.
- Coffey Cosmosoft
- Dale Foreign Innovative Implementations
- Open Vista Transportation
- Vang Specialized Implementations
- Wholesale Of Annapolis
I just wrapped up a short road trip through the Pacific Northwest. Beautiful country. Here are three story ideas I’m working on as a result of the trip.
A brother tries to counsel and console his sister through a difficult divorce. What problems from their past come up, and what happens when the soon-to-be ex-husband shows up drunk?
A preacher discovers that someone who looks exactly like him has been visiting strip clubs. How does he deal with his church members who lose faith in him, and what does he do when he finally hunts down his double and confronts him?
A wealthy marketing executive in Northern California wants to buy a motorcycle but his wife is opposed since her father died on a motorcycle. Does the executive buy a motorcycle or not, and how does the wife respond?
And here are some possible names for the sister in the first story idea. She is the one going through the difficult divorce.
- Aimee Raquel Wilder
- Beverley Carmela Farmer
- Cherie Freida Harrell
- Claudette Geraldine Castillo
- Dawn Bradford
- Deana Justine Martinez
- Elizabeth Gina Barrett
- Elvira Sallie Benton
- Enid Crawford
- Erma Warner
- Essie Minnie Sargent
- Evangeline Hanson
- Felecia Colon
- Felecia Sofia Riley
- Felicia William
- Francisca Pugh
- Greta Megan Hodge
- Helen Frazier
- Holly Suzette Armstrong
- Ila Jacklyn Maxwell
- Inez Lenore Harrington
- Jacquelyn Sophia Glover
- Janine Marina Haley
- Josie Earnestine Ortega
- Julie Florence Carr
- Julie Lorrie Chandler
- Krista Tonia Black
- Ladonna Cassie Love
- Lara Alford
- Letha Lorna Mcgee
- Luella Lucinda Barton
- Mae Odonnell
- Margaret Phillips
- Myra Le
- Myrtle Stokes
- Nadine Kemp
- Naomi Dora Mcpherson
- Natalie Levy
- Paula Casandra Doyle
- Rhoda Adela Nixon
- Rosa Padilla
- Rowena Raymond
- Sheila Walls
- Simone Avery
- Toni Beverly Wooten
- Trina Hunter
- Ursula Simone Todd
- Wendy Ila Velasquez
- Willa Angelica Young
- Yvonne Abigail Moreno
Christopher Booker wrote a book entitled, The Seven Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories in 2004. Here are his seven plot concepts.
Overcoming the Monster
The protagonist sets out to defeat something that threatens him/her or a group they belong to.
Rags to Riches
A protagonist is in some way misfortunte, usually financially. Throughout the story, he/she acquires things such as power, wealth or a love interest.
The protagonist sets out to acquire an object or get to a location, facing many obstacles and temptations along the way.
Voyage and Return
The protagonist goes to a strange land and, after overcoming the threats it poses to him or her, returns with experience.
A humorous character faces conflict that becomes more and more confusing, but is at last made plain in a single clarifying event.
The protagonist is a hero who makes a mistake that brings about his/her downfall, evoking sympathy.
An important event forces the main character to change his/her ways, often making him/her a better person.
I’ve also collected a few simple story ideas for this Summer that follow these plot frameworks.
- A pilot from Denmark is delighted when he gets the chance to take part in the final of Bake Off. However, his chances are scuppered by an angry tiger. Despite everything, the pilot wins the competition and becomes a global celebrity..
- An author from Liverpool is delighted when she gets the chance to take part in the final of a talent show. However, her chances are scuppered when her car breaks down on the way to the competition. After the drama, the author realizes there is more to life than winning a talent show and goes on a picnic with her mother instead..
- Charlie is a Jedi from England who falls in love with his golf caddy. The two are separated when the golf caddy catches the flu and has to stay in hospital where she makes new friends. However, Charlie manages to rescue the situation by hacking into his email.
- In a world where apes have infiltrated the government, one carpenter has no choice but to protect mankind using the best golf club in the word. After a long and drawn out battle, the carpenter saves the day.
- Stafford is a wizard from Japan who falls in love with his best friend. The two are separated when the best friend goes away to war. However, Stafford manages to rescue the situation by slaying a dragon.
- When a cowboy from Canada learns the secret to world peace, not everybody is supportive. However, his fortunes improve when his arch enemy gets him a gig at a local theatre. In the end, the cowboy becomes a better person and is admired by all.
- In a world where monkeys are warriors, one acrobat has no choice but to leave Facebook using just her mind. Finally, the acrobat has a meaningful chat with the monkeys and they come to an amicable agreement.
- In a world where apes have infiltrated the government, one fairy has no choice but to find another planet to colonize by becoming a world leader. Eventually, the fairy forms an army and teaches the apes a little respect.
An unusual collection of story ideas to celebrate the arrival of July and the height of Summer.
In a world where zombies are stand-up comedians, one comedian has no choice but to assassinate an honorable man by killing his own father. Finally, the comedian has a meaningful chat with the zombies and they come to an amicable agreement.
Matt is a politician from Alaska who falls in love with his step-sister. The two are separated when the step-sister falls into the ocean and loses his memory. Matt turns to drink then accidentally runs his step-sister over.
In a world where vampires are miraculously transformed into heavenly creatures, one orphan has no choice but to kill an elderly man using an infinite stabler. Despite the orphan’s best efforts, the world ends and everybody dies.
When a virgin from Japan develops a fear of cockerels, not everybody is supportive. However, his fortunes improve when his teacher writes a wonderful song. The virgin eventually achieves his goal but finds the results unfulfilling.
Brad is a killer fueled by greed, who murders nurses and wraps them in toilet paper. Lady Megre, a graduate from Liverpool, knows she has to stop him. Eventually, Megre captures the killer and wins a bravery award.